Season 10: Blessings General Chat

MangoHabanero

Season 10: Blessings General Chat

Post by MangoHabanero » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:31 pm

Mainly I'm just making this to remember what it feels like to make a forum thread for the first time in 10 years. It feels good. Anyway, maybe this topic is too broad, or maybe it's a good place to discuss Season 10 Blessings. I haven't had a real chance to sink my teeth in yet.

Someone had also proposed (an idea from another team) where there's a tab on the voting spreadsheet where each Wing can put in their own feedback, if they have it, on the individual blessings? I thought that might be a cool idea?

monorail
Site Admin

Re: Season 10: Blessings General Chat

Post by monorail » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:20 pm

I like that a lot of blessings seem to be permanent this time around. It's hard to get invested in a buff that lasts a week, imo.

Based on the wording, I think Doctor Smedley's Umpire Cream and The Nut Button are teamwide buffs, as opposed to individual buffs applied to each player. That's a lot stronger than it seems at first glance, I think. The Nut Button in particular I think would be really, really good long term.

The questions I have then, are:
  • Do we expect a lot of peanut weather in the future? It didn't get voted for this season but blaseball is leaning heavily into the Shelled One's story at this point so I think it's likely that it occurs more often.
  • Do we think we can win it?
  • Do we maybe want to leave it for a team with a Superallergic player to see what happens?
  • Are we even interested in thinking this long term or do we want things that will benefit us immediately?
I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Ecto

Post by Ecto » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:56 am

Personally I like Noise-Cancelling Headphones just to retain our players and because I think it might be slightly less competitive than the others?
Obviously the team buffs against incineration and allergies and gurgles are good, I think we just put whatever votes people have lying around in those and hope for RNG since we're not going to be high bidders.
I don't think the shadows ones are very good for us, and I'm not super excited about stealing random players either.
I'm personally ok with just a scattershot approach to whatever people feel like voting for.

Spludge237

Post by Spludge237 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:07 am

Ah, forums. I've missed these.

I don't know what our pitching shadows are like, but it's important to note that Dark Star as worded is additive; we'd have six pitchers. As long as they're better than Steph/Mullins, it's an improve. It'll also be hotly contested; I can't remember which team it is that won it, but a blessing last election maxed a pitcher in the shadows, so that team will be gunning for Dark Star hard.

I think I concur on the scattershot approach; maybe mark a few as definite "thou shalt not put votes here", but I don't think we're excited enough about any of these to be worth a push for them. Very much in favour of a don't vote until we know we're not winning the championship strategy, because People's Champions is back.

Keegan_A

Post by Keegan_A » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:18 am

Oh MAN do I miss the golden age of internet forums, it feels so good to be typing in a BBcode window again :D

Anyway, I'm all in for The Nut Button. I think the Shelled One being a peanut may come in to play, but the main reasons are more obvious, it turns a potentially disastrous weather type in to a purely positive one and makes Blooddrain the only scenario in which we lose stats (outside of blessings). I strongly doubt that season 10's weather effects are permanent (especially since conditions dependent on disabled weather are still around), so I'm sure we'll see a return of peanut weather in the future.

Finally, NeoScum Good.
"keegan u r always rite!! drives me crazy~" - xXr4wR_Kr3wXx
mEsS wItH tHe BeSt, DIE LiEk ThE rEsT

Fish

Post by Fish » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:37 am

Oh boy I haven't used one of these before. I used to just read GameFAQs threads without ever posting lol.

I think all the ones that protect against weather effects are both very good and will be p highly contested. I really like Sealant and Nut Button personally, but they're all good to dump some votes into just so we have the chance of getting them. Noise Cancelling Headphones is explicitly an item tho, so that could be less good than the others.

I also want Haunted bc I like ghosts, and Shadow Ban Together bc it will make Case Sports better and they deserve it.

Mango, I think that's a good idea but I'm worried about the jerk who vandalized the Mint's voting things coming for other teams, or someone else doing something similar. I'm going to post the link to here though on the spreadsheet bc I think this is much more secure!

monorail
Site Admin

Post by monorail » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:29 am

I could actually hide the strategy category from anyone without an account, and then require accounts to be manually verified.

I haven't bothered because I don't know how much we care for security but it's absolutely something that can be done, and easily.

ClaudiaVice

Post by ClaudiaVice » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:42 am

I just tried to upload a sick signature banner like Keegan and failed :( RIP my HTML and BBcode knowledge I guess

Nut Button: seems solid! I'm assuming if it's an option, then that means we'll have Peanut weather next season. I don't think I've seen any propaganda for it either

Umpire Cream: gonna be hotly (lol) contested, we may as well through some votes in though

Noise Cancelling Headphones: pretty much the same opinion as Nut Button, and idk if anyone else is trying for it

Dark Star: I feel like we have some good Shadow pitchers but don't quote me on that, also at least two teams (Garages & Fridays) are going for it pretty hard. Unsure if it'd be worth throwing votes towards

Sealant: Would be nice

Rogue Waves: I REALLY like this, ngl. I'm sure other teams are probably gonna go for it but imagine our bases loaded with multiple Cells and Frans. Multiple Axels casually walking around the bases

Tag Team Fourth Strike: INTRIGUING, I feel like this would help us a lot, but I'll defer to someone with stats knowledge if actually it wouldn't help that much

Divisional Walk in the Park: Seems good imo because Wild kinda sucks, either making for a faster partytime or us actually winning more (again, I am not a stats person so for all I know this might not be as cool as I think)

monorail
Site Admin

Post by monorail » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:21 am

ClaudiaVice wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:42 am Rogue Waves: I REALLY like this, ngl. I'm sure other teams are probably gonna go for it but imagine our bases loaded with multiple Cells and Frans. Multiple Axels casually walking around the bases
tbh i'm not sure our hitters are consistent enough to trust them to get on base even with multiple attempts

Ecto

Post by Ecto » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:49 am

whoa is that what Repeater does, they run multiple times?

If this is not ok then go ahead and delete (or I will) but this is the link I was given for looking at shadows players (you have to toggle it at the bottom of the page).
Forbidden Knowledge:
https://slavfox.space/abslve/?forebodin ... scope#MCWW

Main point is that if I'm reading it correctly, the best shadows pitchers are very close to Steph and only slightly better than Mullen. I don't think we want to add that and dilute our chances to get to our actual good pitchers.
The listed hitters in the Shadows are all people we know (Case, Kennedy, Adkins).

Trying for the peanut prevention one is ok with me for sure.